Getting Your Breath Back
By: Thrive Method Training
We can’t tell you how many clients we’ve had say “I forgot to breath” not only in our workouts but throughout their day. Our bodies (typically) will remember to breath enough to survive, however, breathing efficiently is becoming a lost art. Our breath is our source of life and when it is inefficient the response is tightness, possible injury and overall stress on the mind and body.
To keep this mentality up without creating more stress prioritizing a couple minutes out of our day to work on efficient breathing can make an immense difference.
Breath Awareness Technique: to some this could be considered meditation and depending on the day it could feel more in that direction then not. Whatever you want to call it the 10-20 minutes that you are able to dedicate to yourself will allow you to sleep better, process stress easily and in turn be able to give more positivity out to the world. Give it a shot and see if its something you can make a priority:
- Set your phone timer to 10 minutes (or more if you can make the time!)
- Lie flat on your back on the floor and submit your body into relaxation – whatever that may be for you. (Legs extended, arms extended by side or on abs is a good start).
- Close your eyes and bring awareness to your breath, not trying to control it or force the pattern, just observe it and where it travels.
- Take a deep inhale by filling the sides to the back of the ribs, then allow your stomach to expand with air.
- Take a deep exhale and allow a natural relaxation all the way down between your two hip bones.
- Bring awareness & length to the inhales & exhales each one relaxing the mind and body a little bit more.
- Observe but don’t try to change where your body is in pain, where it feels tight, where it may be holding onto stress plus any other new sensations that arise.
- Continue to deepen your depth of relaxation until the timer goes off.
- Slowly come back into reality with new awareness & awakening.
Remember that each session will be different and each one provides a new sensation, attempt to make it a positive take away but don’t try to force an outcome. All too often we have such control over our lives that we lack the ability to slow down to “catch our breath”.
Thrive Method Training
Sarah is a life enthusiast, health coach, movement & mobility coach and really focuses on the bad-assery that women possess! Sarah is from Naples, ME, a small town in the southwestern part of the state. Her passion is to help as many people live their optimum life (cause after all what are we here for if we aren't LIVING!) by improving their mental, physical & overall being capabilities. In recent years she has focused more on female nutrition, strength training and the miracle that is pre/post natal health. (If you're looking for Certs: NASM, FitforBirth Pre/Post Natal CES, FRC Certified & Precision Nutrition Nutritionist, Kettlebell Certified & Certified in experiencing a kick-ass healthy life to show others how to do the same).