Hiring a Personal Trainer Advice 101…
By: Thrive Method Training Comments 0
The definition of the term; “A personal trainer is an individual certified to have a varying degree of knowledge of general fitness involved in exercise prescription and instruction. They motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability to clients. … Qualified personal trainers recognize their own areas of expertise”
Congrats! You decided you want to lose weight, gain muscle, run a 5k or even just feel better on a day to day basis now heres the question…how to you make that happen?!
Should you do 100 burpees everyday to lose weight? Should you eat only bananas for 5 days to drop those love handles? Does running make you skinny? Does fat make you fat?! The problem out there is you have all of this conflicting information as to what you should do to hit the goal you’ve set for yourself that it can be overwhelming. Welp, your solution is to hire a Personal Trainer.
Dun dun dun bring in a Personal Trainer! No we’re not just saying that because it is what we do and want to get you as a client – we’re deeper than that. It’s our understanding that a lot of people out there don’t know what a personal trainer can do for you so lets break it down here…
First off, make sure you’re offered a free assessment; it’s like an initial interview that will show if you’re a good match. After all, this will be a relationship that needs to jive in order to succeed. If the jiving is on point then you can consider moving forward to the next step. Here are key points that a qualified personal trainer will address during the initial assessment:
- Identifies your goals – The daunting question that typically is a generic answer like “lose weight, tone up, get a six pack, look good for an event” etc., however, your goals are specific to YOU. They should be able to break down why you are looking to reach these goals and what reaching them will mean to you.
- Devises a plan for your goals – Once your goals are established your potential personal trainer should present a plan or program of HOW to reach your goals and how long it will take to get you there. Remember with the right amount of movement, nutritional adjustments and self-care you can accomplish any goal, it’s just a matter of time.
- Sets a realistic plan – Think of this as a prescription! An example of this may be: Train 2xweek, follow this nutrition plan, move everyday of the week, drink X amount of water. This shows they have worked with others before to hit similar goals and they know how to get you there.
- Gives you a reality check – As much as we would love to say “train with me 2x week and you’ll drop 30lbs in a month,” that is not a reality. You should be discussing YOUR commitment level required in this investment as well as theirs.
- Teaches you something new – Sure you want them to push your limits but they should know how to improve your movement in this first assessment. In order to be successful in any goal you must work efficiently and that is a personal trainers job to see this through.
TIP #1: Look over the checklist above before you enter into that assessment and you’re already making a more informed decision. Know going into it what will cost so that won’t be your hesitation and you can solely base it on whether or not the professional is the right fit for you.
TIP #2: Know the going rate for personal training in the area! Ex. A Personal Trainer in Santa Monica can range from $100-$150/hour.
Thrive Method Training
Sarah is a life enthusiast, health coach, movement & mobility coach and really focuses on the bad-assery that women possess! Sarah is from Naples, ME, a small town in the southwestern part of the state. Her passion is to help as many people live their optimum life (cause after all what are we here for if we aren't LIVING!) by improving their mental, physical & overall being capabilities. In recent years she has focused more on female nutrition, strength training and the miracle that is pre/post natal health. (If you're looking for Certs: NASM, FitforBirth Pre/Post Natal CES, FRC Certified & Precision Nutrition Nutritionist, Kettlebell Certified & Certified in experiencing a kick-ass healthy life to show others how to do the same).